[Terrapreta] Commercial charcoal VM content

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Mar 11 22:53:52 CDT 2007

Michael,

The charcoal is right in the reduction zone so it's probably a low VM char.
Depending on how you run the gasifier you can pull off the charcoal before
it is completely reduced. Typical small scale gasifiers that are well run
generate about 2-3% char. A poorly run gasifier can make 10% char. So a 10
kWe gasifier using 1.4 kg/kW will make about 8 kg char in a six hour day.
(1.4 g x 10 kW x 6 hr x 10%).In India and Cambdia they are running 5-6 hours
per day.

One gasifier here has a long vertical bed of char below an open core
gasifier.It appears that tars from the gasification are recondensing on the
deep char bed because the gas coming out is pretty clean (no benzene). I
would think that the char would have a high VM content.

The point is that reactors can be run to generate different qualities of
char. There are probably appropriate uses for each quality of char.

Tom