[Terrapreta] Charcoal properties

danny day danny.day at eprida.com
Mon Mar 12 02:15:25 CDT 2007

Tom:

The difference in porosity of materials depends on many factors which are
well documented and I have to beg off on the references right now (use
carbonnegative.info for help if needed).  A new one that you may not have
run into is:

Nathasak Boonmee's (2004)THEORETICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF AUTOIGNITION
OF WOOD, Univ. of Md.

His work is excellent showing orientation of heat applied to the wood fiber
in situ and the differences created.  The ability to simulate natural fire's
impact on charcoal is a fascinating study and lots to incorporate into our
energy/soil productivity practices.  Bob Hawkins will be presenting an oral
presentation on testing to optimize char's effects at the upcoming
conference in Australia.  I hope everyone can invest in the airfare to
attend who is really interested.

Danny

On 3/4/07, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:

> Michael, Danny,
>
> Is there a difference in the morphology of wood and agricultural charcoals
> with different volatile contents such as pore size or porosity? Can it be
> seen in scanning electron microscopy (SEM) photos or measured with
> absorption techniques?
>
> See images in J. Skjemstad, "Charcoal Carbon in US Agricultural Soils"
> linked at:
> http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/Skjemstadus
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom