[Terrapreta] ancient forests: under-rated carbon sinks

Kelpie Wilson kelpie at kelpiewilson.com
Mon Mar 12 13:17:24 CDT 2007

I second these thoughts on old growth forests. What I have heard
about temperate forests is that the bulk of the carbon is stored in
the soils. Clearcutting and tree plantations wreck soils - I've seen
that here in the pacific northwest. In the tropics, on the other
hand, the soils don't store much carbon so most of the carbon is in
the living vegetation. As I understand it, what terra preta does is
to transform tropical soils to a condition that is more like what is
found in native temperate forests with lots of carbon storage.
A big question on my mind these days is how terra preta could help
restore tree plantations in the pacific northwest. There is a lot of
talk right now about forest biomass burning for power generation here
in Oregon. I wonder if it would be possible to create char and biogas
instead and use the char to rehabilitate degraded land?

-Kelpie Wilson
Environmental Editor, Truthout.org