[Terrapreta] I am confused by the effect of charcoal on pH

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:57:47 CDT 2007

I am confused by the effect of charcoal on pH
Japanese researchers ,
  (Growth Promotion of Tea Trees by putting Bamboo Charcoal in
Soil  Takehiko Hosi, Tokai  University, Nishino. Japan
http://www.fb.u-tokai.ac.jp/WWW/hoshi/cha/)
  have found a reduction of pH by 0.5 -1 over three years applying only 100g
char  to a sq. metre.
Does this apply to very alkaline soil?

I have a pH next to my pool of 9.
. If I apply Chicken manure char (at pH 9) what will happen to my soil?

Anyone any thoughts on this or could point me to research papers?
Is my pool chlorine confusing the issue?
Tar

--
Michael Bailes.

"Five years of Guantanamo: