[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Mar 24 12:48:52 CDT 2007

All,

We have about 75 participants on this list now. We learn by doing. We learn
by example. And we learn from each other. As far as I know two groups are
preparing terra preta trials in North America. Richard Haard and Larry
Williams are preparing container trials at Fourth Corner Nurseries near
Bellingham, Washington  (See
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=haardcharcoal ) and Erich Knight is
planning some trials with James Madison University in Harrisonburg,
Virginia.

I do not know what current or ongoing trials are being conducted by Cornell
University, University of Georgia, Eprida, U Beyreuth or others in
Australia, Brazil or Japan but I'm sure that we will have a good idea from
the reports at the Agrichar conference next month.

I had the privilege of traveling to Fourth Corner Nurseries this week to
meek Richard Haard, Larry Williams and their associates to discuss their
plans for testing. I appreciated the investment this commercial nursery is
making and the careful preparation that they are doing and to see if terra
preta techniques can help in rehabilitation of depleted soil, seedling
inoculation, inoculation of sterilized bromide soil and other uses on a well
drained,  acidic, sandy loam soil.

Please tell us what trials you are conducting or planning to conduct and
what you hope to see from terra preta applications. If you have pictures or
reports we would be pleased to link to them or put them on the website.

Many thanks

Tom Miles

http://Terrapreta.bioenergylists.org <http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/>