[Terrapreta] Low tech retorts used to make charcoal

Rick Davies rick.davies at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 06:01:21 CDT 2007

re Kurt's advice as follows,

> A retort set up will let you make charcoal with minimal smoke and air
> pollution. Such a system can be as simple as a 5?gallon tin in a simple
> cob fireplace, with a simple fan supplying extra draft to the fire, or a
> good chimney. The can will need a removable lid, it will need small
> holes in the bottom for the  gases to get out and feed the fire below.
> Properly regulated, there will be little smoke.
> There are a number of websites describing the sort of thing I mean. Go
> googling.

Not sure how to effectively google this, so could Kurt or others help me
with some website references?

Reason: I am looking for similar low tech options that would be usable by
poor rural communities in Africa and Asia, which could enable them to obtain
two possible benefits: local soil improvements, and saleable carbon credits
(in official CC markets or voluntary offset markets)

Am also interested in associated low tech alternatives to using burned
biomass used to fuel the pyrolysis process. Especially the possibility of
adapting solar cookers. If this was possible the CO2 cost of creating the
bio-char could be reduced substantially. The process may take more time, but
time may not necessarily be so critical.

regards, rick davies
www.mande.co.uk

------------------------------

> [...]
> have cooked on the Weber year round. This translates to three or four
> times a month. So I cumulated a nice little pile, 20 lbs. or so of
> charcoal and charred wood, once I decided to collect the charcoal.
>
> My vegetable bed in Bellingham is layered with composted wood chip,
> leaves, up rooted weeds, grass clippings and sea weed over the
> growing season. The dirt is covered and the soil structure is left as
> undisturbed as possible. I use iron phosphate pellets for slug control.
>
> Yes, I do feel very comfortable with my field experience and do feel
> overwhelmed around strict scientist. Rich has guided me on many
> points based in science that are beyond my schooling and
> observational powers. We have enjoyed each others style for some time
> now. I haven't quite converted him yet though he got excited when he
> photographed the charcoal from under the swiss chard.  He later wrote
> that there was an "abundance of fungal hyphae adhering to the
> charcoal after a relatively short time buried" (four or five months
> later).
>
> I recently did a charcoal (from strawberry guava) pit burn on the
> Kona coast of Hawaii for usage in a garden. The fire was started
> around 10:30 PM. Given that there was more lava rocks than soil I
> needed to smother the fire with green grass, relatively dry coconut
> fronds (leaves) with the petiole laden with moisture and banana
> leaves. This layering was covered with wet cardboard and then covered
> with a light coat of soil. The pile was rained on and hand watered
> till early morning. The fire did break through around 7:30 AM and
> started to burn some charcoal to ash as I put the fire out with a
> hose. I ended up with just over three five gallon buckets of charcoal
> with a quarter of that as charred wood.
>
> What impressed me most was the rich smell of the steamed and charred
> grass (the green additions). I thought of the compost teas made from
> garden weeds which is a different smell and is a very rich soup to
> give to garden plants (this is something that I do in Bellingham). If
> I would have been able to I would have soaked the charcoal (from
> strawberry guava) and charred wood with these greens and then used
> them in the planting beds.
>
> Since I am stateside now a friend will keep me informed on the
> actions taken and if he sees any significant results. I suggested
> that he only do half of any planting row and that he could decide to:
> 1) bury the charcoal in a new planting bed under 4 or 5 inches of
> soil or
> 2) mix the charcoal (smaller pieces) in the top 3 inches of the soil or
> 3) spread the charcoal on the surface and
> 4) with the charred pieces of wood he could drive the wood into the
> soil (with a hammer if needed) around shrubs. I pointed at some
> pepper plants that could use this technique.
>
> This gives you some idea of how I have decided to use charcoal.

> End of Terrapreta Digest, Vol 3, Issue 37

Rick Davies (Dr)
Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Phone: (44) 01223 841367