[Terrapreta] Cost of charcoal amendment to soil.

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 22:55:26 CDT 2007

 Tom Miles also mentioned $260/ton.  That seems an average price.  As for
> rate of application ... 1.4% being something like 16 tons/acre springs to
> mind.  But, I have also seen 4 tons/acre.  I think it's a crap shoot until
> you know more about what else needs to go in with that amendment and how the
> soil/plant growth responds.
>
>   The ancients layered this stuff down, year after year, a few millimeters
> up to maybe a centimeter a year.  They charred first the jungle trees, then
> the plant wastes that were left standing after cropping.

Good point
BEST Energies are hopeing to produce car at around AUD$150 a tonne (US$100?
Metric tonne) depending on what it is made from.
If they can do that with chicken litter car or rice hull char you are
getting free fertiliser for you money (free silica with the rice char).

There is an interesting 10 year experiment going on in Japan at the moment.
They are putting only 100g  to a sq.metre of char (bamboo) onto Tea plants.
 Already, only 4- 5 years into the experiment, they are getting very
significant increases in growth of the char treated plants. The research
should be searchable on the web

--
Michael Bailes.

"I know the answer!
The answer lies within the heart of all mankind!
The answer is twelve?
I think I'm in the wrong building."
         -- Charles M. Schulz