[Terrapreta] Cost of charcoal amendment to soil.

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Mar 27 23:41:21 CDT 2007

My intent with the costs is just to establish some relative value. I've been
using $200/ton as a char cost in the US just as a reference number for a
producer. Retail distribution costs are usually 100% of the wholesale costs.
If a wholesale cost/price is$200/ton it gives us an idea of the total cost
of materials. If you buy lump charcoal in 20 lb bags for $6/bag (100 per
ton) you are paying $600/ton.  Depending on what you apply, how much and how
you work it in the total cost of charcoal could be quite expensive. Labor
and equipment can cost much more than the material.

Tom