[Terrapreta] INTEREST IN TERRA PRETA GROUP

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Mar 29 09:41:47 CDT 2007

Buenos Dias, Luis:

Sounds like a very cool job.  I hope you are successful in your endeavors with the sugar cane to ethanol plants.

I have some suggestions.  Get your sugar cane suppliers (growers) to make charcoal from the bagasse left on the cane fields, instead of burning it after harvest, and have them put that on there fields after each harvest.  Also make charcoal from the waste bagasse coming out of the ethanol plant processing.  Fermentation can only digest the hexose sugars in the cane.  All the pentose sugars in the cellulose, hemi-cellulose, and lignin are indigestible to brewers yeast (except perhaps by some esoteric and expensive, genetically modified E-coli enzymes, heh?), but it can be thermally decomposed and make good charcoal.  Plus you may find use for the excess exothermic heat and BTU containing off gases coming out of a pyrolysis reactor (distilling the beer in the ethanol plant, for instance).  You could sell the charcoal back to the cane farmers or give it to them in exchange for a lower price to supply you the cane.  They will benefit from not having to use as much fertilizer in the future crops.

If you get 50 hectares of forestland, then char most of the big trees (leave a few standing per hectare) and replant the land with a coppice tree crop (something fast growing that can break buds out of stumps when cut).  Then make charcoal out of the biomass growing there.  Put some of that charcoal back onto that plot every year or when the coppicing occurs.
Put the rest of that charcoal on cane fields.

What I am suggesting is that if charcoal in soil can increase the yield of biomass grown on that soil, then put charcoal onto energy crops.  If you can increase the biomass yield on land which is very local to your ethanol plants, then you can use less land, reduce transport distances, and have more biomass available to drive the plant processes.  As I understand the distillation process, heating the beer to drive out the water, "drying" the ethanol is the largest energy input required of a plant, right? Raw biomass material transportation cost comes in second?

If your goal is to make your plants "the most efficient design ever", then you need to harvest the most solar energy you can in the form of larger biomass yields from the least, most local acreage (hectare-age) that you can.  If you have a very local overabundance of biomass, then you can get more sugars and more energy for less cost.  I think building ethanol plants in areas where energy crops are grown in "Terra Preta" soils can definitely help reduce operating costs and raise the efficiency of those ethanol distilleries.

When the biomass yields increase on your land or the land of the farmers who supply your firm with sugar cane, then two huge things happen; 1) you will more efficiently harvest the solar energy which falls on that land, and 2) there will be higher uptake of CO2 by the biomass growing on that land.  With #2 comes the benefit that you can produce more charcoal
from the same land space and you can sequester more carbon from the atmosphere (or sequester it faster).  When the worldwide carbon trading scheme finally comes into place, then your firm will also have one of the most efficient carbon sequestering technologies well underhand, so you can compete vigorously in that market too.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC