[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 3, Issue 55

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:01:19 CDT 2007

Silica and Coppicing

I have been looking at the new (expensive) silica "kitty litter' type
products at the supermarket and wondering if there is any point addding a
spoonfull or two to my potting mix?
Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Coppicing
There are a number of excellent links on Coppicing on the Hypography "Terra
preta the thread that started it all" just use the "search this thread"
option
There are some beaut how -too photos etc.

The only logging I really strongly object to is that of Old Growth Forests.
Tasmanians are having a real battle trying to get their government to leave
these amazing, pristine forests, full of Giant Old Trees alone.

Most of our forests are clear-felled and used to send "woodchips" to Japan
to make origami (or charcoal?)
It would be far more profitable to pyrolise the chips for energy and give
the char away to farmers.

In a tremendous Irony our Dopey Old  Prime Minister "Bonsai  " today
promised to give Indonesia 200mil to stop logging Borneo West Papua etc.
Year right that's really going to happen. I can hear the sSwiss bank
accounts opening from here.
Meanwhile we lay waste our own country.
"Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers"
-some poet?

A couple of other points: I believe silicates are a common ingredient