[Terrapreta] About Message Ron Larson Mon, 26 Mar 2007

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 29 13:09:20 CDT 2007

To Dr.  Yury   (cc "stoves", "terrapreta" list members)

[RWL1:  Background:  Dr. Yury is responding to a short message I sent to "stoves" on the 26th on the subject of charcoaling in the cropfield (encouraging that), responding to a message from Dr. A.D. Karve - who has been successful in this practice in the Maharashtra state of India.  I stated on the 26th that I thought this practice could/would shift over time to a use of the char for "terrapreta" purposes, rather than (as at present) its use for charcoal briquettes and household cooking (and Dr. Karve has developed a very efficient charcoal burning stove, whose success has led to a local charcoal shortage.)
    Dr. Yury and I met in Pune India at a first stoves conference (organized by Dr. Karve's daughter Priya) some years ago and have had several e-mail conversations since.   It was obvious to all at the conference that Dr. Yury (who had just retired from government service to form his own charcoal-making enterprise) was very knowledgeable about charcoal-making.  His communication below is much more clear than earlier dialogs - showing that computer translations from Russian to English are getting much better.  I urge going to the site given below {  http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Yudkevitch/charcoal/}  [which actually takes your directly to the very active Russian site.  where much (not enough) is in English.  This is our first conversation about "terra preta"]