[Terrapreta] Potsherds

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 29 21:16:31 CDT 2007

Kurt etal

    A nice job of exploring the various explanations.  Thanks.  I enter the
conversation  as the husband of a full time potter - with some experience in
low temperature firing myself.

    In addition to your list, I'd like to know if there have been any
forensic investigations on the pottery.  I wonder what portion show evidence
of use. (the rest breaking during firing.  (my wife guesses that most made
it through the firing).    I'll bet that local investigations could identify
the sources of the clay.  My wife's clay has about ten ingredients - it
wouldn't surprise me that these pots had one.  But these could be quite
different clays near different villages.  It shouldn't be too hard to get
local potters to replicate pretty closely the pottery seen there - which
probably could tell a lot about the means of firing,  including temperature,
and time.

   My own guess is that the biochar is a lot more important for productivity
than the pottery - which even if extensive is probably not uniformly
distributed.  I say this mostly based on guesses on porosity (internal
surface area) and what I have heard about the importance of charcoal itself.
I have read the two big thick "Black Soil" books, which contain some
anthropological discussions, but don't remember any papers getting into this
level of detail.

        I hope someone can tell us they have tested soil productivity with
and without different amounts of ceramics.   Until I hear some differences
in those tests, I am going to put more emphasis on the char - which I am
guessing may out-weigh the ceramics by 100 to 1 and provide cavities by an
even larger margin.  I see the main value of the ceramics as being proof
that there was human involvement in the soil production.

    What intrigues me most is whether we can find proof that the char is
present because of conscious intention.  Some can't see this as an
invention - but rather that Terra Preta just "happened".  I lean the other
way.  Pottery investigations might help answer that important question.

Ron