[Terrapreta] charcoal making

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Mar 31 23:46:19 CDT 2007

Terrapreta interest group

Here is a set of images about our charcoal making project this
weekend. It is a smothered pit method, first time for myself . We did
open the lower end of the pit after 5 hours and take out about 40
gallons , then we put the unburned wood back in and recovered. We
will be looking at it again in about 18 hours.

This will provide us with a charcoal treatment set for our container
study on charcoal as a soil additive. Surly we will not make charcoal
this way again but we will have a comparison between John's pyrolyser
made charcoal to our small holder method.

This charcoal as well as our other experimental ingredients will be
submitted to  a complete analysis routine.

Best

Rich Haard,
Bellingham , Washington

Larry Williams may have more to say about our project later.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=441492511&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=441492545&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=441492549&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=441516278&size=o