[Terrapreta] IAI Conference. International Agrichar initiative

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed May 2 23:44:25 CDT 2007

Ron,

Many thanks for the report.  I'd be happy to put up reports on the
conference from each of you, Michael and Stephen (or others) that could go
on the list and on the web.  Pictures and videos help.

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the list. While it was important to
identify the list at the conference I think it's future and usefulness will
be determined by the participants. It would be nice to be funded but we
don't need to be the association list. It might be best if IAI had a member
list and Terra Preta remains an open discussion list.

As we have seen on the list a US farmer can get large quantities of char
from major producers, probably at the volatile matter content of choice.
There are at least three smaller (50 tpd) "farm" scale technologies
available but they are all under development and scale up from smaller
capacities. Not many farmers will want to be in the charcoal business. But
if we can identify the appropriate applications and the agronomic and
economic value of charcoal addition then it will be used. So I think our
focus should be on research and commercial demonstration oriented toward
contemporary applications in conjunction with techniques for plant nutrition
such as compost and biofertilizers. This should happen in developed and
developing economies. If the agronomic value is clear then the Carbon
benefits will follow.

Congratulations Stephen for launching BEST. I'm sure that once you retire
you will be a sought after resource for bio-char applications.

Can Debbie provide more information on her project? List members may be
willing to lend support if necessary.

Have good trip.

Regards,

Tom