[Terrapreta] "Giving Up On Two Degrees"

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri May 4 12:18:54 CDT 2007

Hi Larry,

This is my most favorite quote from that "Giving up on Two Degrees" article ...

"What the IPCC report shows is that we have to stop treating climate change as an urgent issue. We have to start treating it as an international emergency."

I've said something before on posts to this site about Terra Preta as carbon sequestration technique to mitigate global climatic change.
It bears repeating ... let me find it ... I found it!

Clearly (do you think?), the ancient native Amazonian people did not "slash and char" forestland to sequester carbon.  They were not billions of them pumping fossil fuel burning exhaust into the atmosphere for a century or more until some of them recognized (and broadcast it on the Internet) that they were poisoning the planet.  It would be quite an interesting archaeological find for any evidence that they even new Earth was a planet with a finite atmosphere.

Rather, I think they made "Terra Preta", because one day they found some burned down area that grew food crops much better then anywhere else in the leached out Amazon River basin.  They, smart bunch that they were, wanted to replicate Nature.  My guess it that was a good idea then and about as technologically advanced as one could be.  They recognized that they were part of the natural world and that nature was far more successful at the running the world then they were, so she could help, if they only observed and learned.  Many of the doers in 21st century humanity could stuff the arrogance and do with a little of that humility towards Nature.

The evidence is there, even if it was performed in only limited areas, near river basins and some lakes, that people made Terra Preta soil, molded an "artificial landscape", and fed some millions of people by doing so for centuries, if not millennia.  If it did not work for what they were doing if for (trying to improve the soils ability to grow food crops), then I am absolutely positive that they would not have continued to compost charcoal into sterile Oxisol soils for centuries trying to make it work.  Can anyone imagine how much work and how many tons of charcoal composting they must have done?  Millions of people for centuries?  What limited amount we have found was a BIG JOB.  I think it is a wonder that Terra Preta is as widespread as it is!

Just pretend you are an ancient Amazonian.  There is a place near a lake which grows huge food crops and feeds 100s of thousands of other people you can see around it.  Then 8-10 kilometers away, near another lake, there is rainforest, with poisonous frogs and water and water and bugs and more water, but there is no soil there in which you can grow food that people eat.  Where are you going to live?  Where you can eat bugs and rain and otherwise starve alone with your little family?

My view is that the archaeological record will always meat out what was "common sense" for the time.  We all are more like one another than we are different.  We all collaborated then and still collaborate now to the benefit the greater group and to ourselves.  Humans are gregarious.  Agriculture has only pulled us closer together into "growing regions" to try and feed ourselves and one another.  That has not changed in millennia, nor should it in the future.

If modern people can repeat that miracle today, maybe we will feed the 4 billion more people expected by 2050.  That, by itself would be something.

But even if that did not happen, the carbon dated charcoal, which has been examined under a scanning electron microscope and still shows the cell wall structures in the charcoal, from the cells of the trees that it was made from 1000s of years ago, has SUSTAINED.  Charcoal in soil is highly resilient!  As long as it doesn't poison the soil so that it cannot grow crops, then its doesn't matter how much we bury into it.  If it helps degraded soils, great!  If it allows us to use less fertilizer, great!  If it improves agricultural crop quality and yield, great!  Those will all be huge benefits.

That we can really "sequester carbon", which has been taken out of the atmosphere, by putting charcoal into soil, is all by itself a very important part of the "Terra Preta" story!  Let me repeat that.

"TERRA PRETA (CHARRED BIOMASS IN SOIL) = REAL CARBON SEQUESTRATION"

Let's just get on with it already, because the oil companies and the coal mines are going to continue to be burnt into the atmosphere until they are gone.  We humans living in our own filth in our little petri dish called Earth can either wake up and clean up, or we will die from it.  The only business that we need to really succeed at right now is proving that it can be done economically.  The carbon credits and the agricultural benefits will come from our endeavors.  I am confident of that.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC