[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed May 9 18:40:43 CDT 2007

I picked through middens (kitchen waste) on rescue digs with an archeologist
friend in England some 37 years ago. I remember pockets of char but nothing
like terra preta. We were looking for pottery and not paying too much
attention to the char. I wonder if they burned their kitchen waste. I worked
in area of the Lacandon Maya in Chiapas, Mexico, a couple of year later.
Agricultural patterns were of interest to those of us concerned with
protecting soil and the forest ecology but we weren't looking at pottery.
Tony Hemenway provides a brief overview of agricultural patterns in the
region from a permaculturists perspective in "Seeing the Garden in the
Jungle" http://www.patternliteracy.com/beyondwilderness.html

Tom Miles