[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery etc

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Wed May 9 20:27:30 CDT 2007

Kevin Chisholm wrote:
> Dear Michael
>
> Heres an "outside the box" thought...
>
> Is it possible that people had large charcoaling operations, where they
> retorted the biomass in pottery retorts, and simply discarded the fines
> and broken retorts into a dumping area?

I've been doing some charcoal experiments using a very simple variation
of a TLUD.
It smoked a lot because I didn't have the air supply organised properly
and this is an ongoing experiment.

It would be nice if a pottery expert actually looked at the shards found
in terrapreta soil and came up with an idea of what the pottery items
actually were. Were they pots, were they jugs, were they bowls?? Or just
what were they.

Consider a deep vase like pottery device, with a long neck. Make some
holes in the bottom for primary air. If you've seen a "chiminea"
sometimes called a Mexican Fireplace, imagine it without the side
opening and holes in the bottom, you've got what I mean. Fill it with
wood chips, or their like. Light it at the top. It will slowly burn down
and smoulder, making copious quantities of smoke and eventually, if you
halt the process at the point where nothing but char is left in the
vessel, you can choke off the air from the bottom, cover the top hole
and leave it to cool off. When cold, pour out the charcoal.

Ah, you say: "But all that smoke--- how polluting!" So do the
mosquitoes. I've spent some 17 years in New Guinea, most of it in the
swamps and plains of the Sepik River. Smudge fires are one of the main
means of keeping the critters off, in that area. Houses in some places
are filled with smoke during the night, so that people can get some
sleep. Women, in their small canoes, out fishing will usually have a
little smudge fire on a pottery plate behind them in the stern of the
canoe to keep the mossies off. Men sitting around to chat will sit
around a small smudge fire. It helps to dry their tobacco leaves and to
light their smokes and it keeps the mossies off.

It's possible that people in the amazonian area made smudge burners,
perhaps quite small ones, initially and then discovered the properties
of the resulting char, when mixed into their soil and developed larger
ones in time. Perhaps they used larger ones, in their gardens to keep
off the mozzies and possibly other pests and then discovered the
beneficial effects of the charcoal. Perhaps these vessels broke and they
smashed the shards reasonably small and scattered them around the
garden, to avoid having them ruin their digging sticks if they were in
large pockets. Perhaps they found them beneficial to their gardening
efforts.

Perhaps someone will come up with what sort of pottery they were.
My own charcoal burner is made from an old garbage can and a stove pipe.
Looks like a tin chiminea, with out the side hole. Makes charcoal and
the smoke would keep the mossies off as well.

Kurt
who also likes to think out of the box