[Terrapreta] Abstract on Charcoal in soil

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue May 15 14:52:55 CDT 2007

Dear Randy

Randy Black wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> All forms of carbon are the same!

Regrettably, I have to be contrarian again!! ;-) Consider, as three
extreme examples, diamond, graphite, and lampblack... do you know of any
"bugs" that can eat them?

Consider two much closer examples... cellulose and starch. They have the
same chemical formula, yet, as Dr. Karve notes, you get 1/2 the biogas
from Cellulose as you get from Starch.

The carbon in most biomass is in the carbohydrate or hydrocarbon form,
and is in a form that various life forms can "sink their teeth" into it.
It has a nutritive value, and it is worthwhile for them to attack it. I
don't know of any biological process that can react with diamond,
graphite, or lampblack, or charcoal, and build its carbon into a biomass
system. From my limited knowledge, it seems to me that carbon must have
another element tied to it chemically before biological life forms are
able to consume it.

Best wishes,

Kevin

  Carbon is an element and if you burn