[Terrapreta] bio-oils or creasote

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 17 11:03:35 CDT 2007

Dear Tony

Janice Stettler wrote:
> I am somewhat confused about these condensate oils from the charcoal
> making process.  For the last 20+ years I've heated my house in
> winter with wood.  If I fail to meticulously control air input,
> charcoal results and creosote builds in my chimney.

I think the mechanism here is as follows:
Liquid tars contact the chimney surface, and various "solvents"
evaporate away, leaving behind a solid carbonaceous material that would
be quite different from the original "creosote."

  This is a
> tar-like substance, flammable at high temperatures (deliberate
> chimney fires are the means to clear it), and still of commercial
> value in treating wood in ground contact, i.e., rail-road ties,
> telephone poles, etc.. This commercial use of creosote is because of
> its anti-microbial, anti-fungal properties--it's toxic to
> micro-organism and an irritant to human skin.  As a result, it's
> difficult to imagine these condensate products as beneficial to plant
> life.  Someone please clarify.

"Coal Tar Creosote" is very different from "bio-oil" made from biomass.
Obviously, "Coal Tar Creosote" is very toxic to many life-forms, and has
a proven capability to prevent rotting of wood. However, I have read of
test where teh "blackwater" from water quenched gasifiers and/or wood
pyrolysis operations does indeed have a beneficial effect on plant
growth. Regrettably, I do not have the references at hand to forward
along to you.

Best wishes,

Kevin