[Terrapreta] bio-oils or creasote

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 17 12:46:50 CDT 2007

Dear Andrew

AJH wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:03:35 -0300, Kevin Chisholm wrote:
>
>> However, I have read of
>> test where teh "blackwater" from water quenched gasifiers and/or wood
>> pyrolysis operations does indeed have a beneficial effect on plant
>> growth.
>
> Which says nothing about its effect on animal life forms.

The issue at hand is whether or not "creosote" or "bio-oil" is
beneficial to plant growth. The effect on "other animals" is certainly
an important matter, but that is another issue that should be dealt with
on its own merits, or lack thereof.

> Remember the first industrial cancer recognised was from youthful
> contact with chimney soot, seen again when young mechanics came into
> sustained contact with motor oil contaminated with products of
> incomplete combustion.

Again, this is an important matter. However, from what you indicate
here, we don't know if the cancer resulted from "coal soot" or "wood
creosote." At this stage, we should be careful about generalizations.

Best wishes,

Kevin