[Terrapreta] biochar and sugarcane growth (reply to AD Karve) (cont'd, part 3)

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Sun May 20 14:31:37 CDT 2007

Somebody pop me if I'm in error here: I think the high fungal soils
are a soil oriented focus for what we see on the surface as plant
succession. As the soil becomes more diversified and fungus in the
soil is thriving, more complex plants will be supported by the soil.
Complex plants do not do well in the 'younger,' bacterial soils, but
as long as appropriate host plants remain available to support the
fungi (such as many grasses), I see no reason why annual plants would
not function as well, or better, in the more diverse, hi-fungal
soils. I think, if nothing else, they would be less prone to (fungal)
disease.

What do you think?

-Allan