[Terrapreta] Bamboo

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Mon May 21 23:55:59 CDT 2007

Yes, I agree with all the points about bamboo, but wish to add the following
information:
Bamboo is today one of the most profitable crops in India. If you have an
annual rainfall of about 700 to 800 mm, bamboo does not need any additional
irrigation. Once it has established itself, it does not need any further
attention. No irrigation, no pesticides, no fertilizers and no weeding. One
only harvests the culms that have completed 3 years of growth. Eating bamboo
shoots is not common in India. Therefore one allows all the shoots to grow
into culms. The culms are the economically important part of bamboo but
almost half of the total biomass of a bamboo stalk is in the branches. So
even if the main stalk is used for other purposes, the branches , that are
considered as waste, can be used as fuel and of course for making charcoal.
Also the top ends of the main stalk, that are too thin to have any practical
use, can also be converted into charcoal.
A.D.Karve