[Terrapreta] Abstract on Charcoal in soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 22 20:25:25 CDT 2007

Hi Kevin and Michael,

Quoted ...

> The resilience of soil organic matter
> (SOM) in charcoal amended plots (8 and 4% soil C loss, mineral
> fertilized or
> not fertilized, respectively) indicates the refractory nature of
> charcoal in
> comparison to SOM losses over 20 months in CM (27%), compost amended (27%),
> and control plots (25% loss).

I think this is a very important outcome from the research, which Christoph Stiener conducted in Brazil.  Soil organic matter holds plant nutrients and makes them available for uptake by plants.  The rate of loss of SOM is 3 to 7 times greater in soils without charcoal amendment, regardless of fertilization practices.  This means growing crops in soil without charcoal amendment will deplete the soil of nutrients and cannot be sustained in that soil without increased fertilization.