[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery etc

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue May 22 23:23:19 CDT 2007

Dear Kurt

That is a good point you raise. However, obviously, if the wood was on
the surface, it would rot, but in such submerged conditions, it does
indeed remain good for centuries. Is there perhaps some intermediate
condition of pH and oxygen, or particular micro-organism, where the wood
is "denatured" in a way that elemental carbon remains?

Consider a peat bog... the vegetation is humified, and its blackness
suggests a significant degree of carbon. Consider also the so-called
"bog soils", which are definitely not "fire related", but which are
indeed black... the Northern Equivalent of Brazilian Terra Preta?

It is an interesting puzzle indeed.

Kevin