[Terrapreta] Abstract on Charcoal in soil

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Wed May 23 11:05:50 CDT 2007

Dear Sean and Sai Bhaskar,
I remember reading that village Kothur, where Sai Bhaskar is working, has a lot of Prosopis juliflora, which the villagers turn into charcoal. This plant tolerates soil salinity much better than many other plants. In fact I was successful in growing P.juliflora with sea water irrigation. We have on the West coast of India an area called the Rann of Kutchch. This area in inundated by sea water for almost 4 months of the year, when the western winds drive water from the Arabian sea on this piece of land. This region too has a lot of Prosopis juliflora trees. I travelled in this area a few years ago and taught the locals the technology of making charcoal from Prosopis wood, by using my oven and retort method. It is therefore likely that the soil in Kothur is suffering from salinity.
Yours
A.D.Karve