[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery etc

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Wed May 23 18:07:06 CDT 2007

Kevin Chisholm wrote:

> It strikes me that there are a lot of "loose ends" on Terra Preta:

> If a Brazilian Aboriginal went on a long walk-about to another area
> and saw others growing great crops in black soil associated with bogs,
> he would probably want do the same in his area. He wouldn't have to be
> a genius to figure out that charcoal makes things black, and it would
> be a very simple advancement for him to mix some charcoal with local
> soil, to see if his crops improved.
Hmmm,-----
The Darling Downs area of Queensland, some distance west of Brisbane has
some very fertile soil. It's black. As far as I know, carbon has nothing
to do with it's colour.

We should be careful about thinking up possible reasons and using them
as facts, without research to confirm these theories.

Kurt