[Terrapreta] On pottery in Terra preta

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Wed May 23 18:26:51 CDT 2007

Michael Bailes wrote:
> http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0044-59672004000200004&script=sci_arttext

An interesting bit of information. It tells us that the pottery in TP
tended to contain rock powder of a kind that a lot of organic growers
use to re-mineralise their land. Potters commonly add sand  to clay to
improve it's behaviour, but here they *might* have found that the
practice they used improved the fertility of the soil in which the
broken pottery was added. Additionally it tells us that use of the
pottery to cook fish and other anmal foods also impregnated it with
phosphates, which also would have improved fertility. Subsequent to
inclusion of these pottery shards in the soil the "wee beasties" would
have gone to work on the pottery to extract the nutrients contained
therein and these would have become available to the plants. It makes
sense to *me*.

I'm not so sure about the use of pottery shards to innoculate the soil
with fungus spores.

The article also showed the kind of pottery involved, mainly bowls and
plates--- there goes my idea of "chimeneas".

Kurt