[Terrapreta] OT Fiber re-inforced ceramics

Hunt, Tony HuntT at transfieldservices.com
Thu May 24 20:36:41 CDT 2007

Hi Kurt

The information about the freshwater sponge spicules in the clay used to
make the pottery is amazing.  I don't have any direct experience with
Amazonian freshwater sponges but for a short while I worked on a
research project looking at marine sponges on the Great Barrier Reef,
and I can say with great conviction that speculate sponges are
extraordinarily difficult (and dangerous) to handle, because the
siliceous spicules are like microscopically tiny glass needles - super
fine and SUPER sharp.  Picking up one of these sponges bare-handed
results in hundreds of invisibly small (and transparent) but very
painful glass needles embedded in the skin, which then usually break
when being extracted leaving the tip in the skin, where of course it
gets infected.  All in all, one of the nastiest but most innocuous
marine creatures I've encountered.

So, what really puzzles me is how they could possibly have incorporated
this stuff into the clay - presumably by hand-kneading - without
acquiring crippling or even life-threatening injuries.  Perhaps the
spicules in freshwater sponges are different to marine sponges?

Tony Hunt

Group Environment Manager

Transfield Services

North Sydney NSW Australia

"This email and any attachments are confidential and are for
the intended addressee[s] only.  Unauthorised use of this
communication is prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and remove
them from your system. Confidentiality is not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.  Before opening or
using any attachments, it is your responsibility to check them
for viruses and defects."

Thank You.