[Terrapreta] OT Fiber re-inforced ceramics

AJH list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Fri May 25 03:33:19 CDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:23:38 +1000, rukurt at westnet.com.au wrote:

>> You may well be right about the temperature, but in the modified TLUD
>> setup I've been experimenting with temps don't seem to get *that* high.

Which temperature are you referring to? The temperature of the
pyrolysing front ( which seems to be around 500-700C) or the
temperature of the secondary flame? This latter is harder to measure
as thermocouples notoriously under read an open flame because of
radiative cooling.

>> The extra char consumed might be a case of 6 of one and half a dozen of
>> the other. The clay bits would need firing one way or the other and
>> that would need a source of energy, though I suppose the gas from the
>> TLUD could be used to fire a suitable kiln.

Yes I think this could practically be arranged. The offgas is a
reasonably high calorific value, from dry wood, probably twice that of
the producer gas and pyrolysis products from a full gasifier but at a
few hundred degrees lower temperature, so I would expect to see
temperatures above 1000C if the air ratios are near right in a pre
mixed flame.

It will be somewhat lower than a pure wood in air fire which IIRC
peaks at about 1600C.

AJH