[Terrapreta] Back to black: hydrothermal carbonisation of biomass to clean up CO2 emissions from the past

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sat May 26 11:00:58 CDT 2007

Does some one want to tell them that this is not "NEW"?

http://biopact.com/2007/05/scientists-describe-hydrothermal.html

Only biomass can be used for the creation of such carbon-negative energy
> systems that clean up our emissions from the past. Other renewables are
> carbon-neutral at best, meaning they can only reduce future CO2 emissions -
> something many scientists think is not enough to avert dangerous climate
> change.
>
> Maria-Magdalena Titirici, Arne Thomas and Markus Antonietti of the
> Department of Colloid Chemistry at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids
> and Interfaces<http://www.mpg.de/english/institutesProjectsFacilities/instituteChoice/kolloid_grenzflaechen/index.html>,
> now describe a new, highly efficient though 'low-tech' way to use biomass as
> a tool to clean up past emissions. Their research appears in an open access
> article in the New Journal of Chemistry<http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/NJ/article.asp?doi=b616045j>,
> in which they suggest creating "turbo-rainforests" based on fast-growing
> energy crops that are grown, turned into bio-coal via a process known as
> hydrothermal carbonization (HTC), and then stored into 'carbon landfills',
> while deriving energy from the process. The technique can be practised on an
> ultra-large scale, and can thus be described as a geo-engineering option -
> one that is actually technically and economically feasible.

"May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know
them by their limping."
-Irish Blessing