[Terrapreta] Charcoal agriculture: not ready for prime time

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue May 29 10:39:08 CDT 2007

My thought was more modest:  a concentration of charcoal left in a poor soil
from any natural cause could have resulted in abundant growth and  inspired
terra preta. Studies that I have linked on the terra preta site have shown
that the nutrient impact of fires in grasslands only lasts for about a year,
and slash and burn about three years. Forest fires, however, can leave some
substantial pockets of char.

Tom