[Terrapreta] Charcoal agriculture: not ready for prime time

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue May 29 21:06:40 CDT 2007

Tom

Last summer there were some severe forest fires in the northern part
of the east slope of the cascades in Washington State. I'm heading
over there in a few weeks to look for charcoal (and morel mushrooms,
and wildflowers) at 6 to 7000 foot elevation. A forest worker friend
told me  the log staging areas the fire smolders all winter under the
snow. Would be interesting to find 'pockets of char and document them.

Will report back

Rich H