[Terrapreta] Charcoal agriculture: not ready for prime time

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed May 30 00:56:53 CDT 2007

Hi Kurt, and All,

There has been some mention that charcoal amendments alone or charcoal and fertilizers, even organic fertilizers like chicken manure seem to only increase soil productivity for maybe the first 3 or 4 years after application.  The original Terra Preta soils have and do seem to retain their fertility for perhaps centuries.
There is a difference.  Some have proposed that the difference is in the size and/or variety of a healthy soil microorganism population.  In this vain, then, does anyone think it would be reasonable to say that charcoal could be inoculated with Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi or other beneficial soil microorganisms?
Maybe this is part of "the recipe" for making "Neo Terra Preta"?  Maybe a census of the soil microbes in the original Terra Preta could give us some clues about this theory as the possible key ingredient for a working "Neo Terra Preta" soil?