[Terrapreta] Charcoal agriculture: not ready for prime time

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed May 30 01:09:54 CDT 2007

Hi Tom and All,

I heartily agree, Tom!  I believe that if enough simple, inexpensive, biomass-to-char equipment could be utilized by enough smallholders, that by a groundswell, carbon sequestration as part of agriculture could become the norm.  When the smallholders enjoyed improved crop yields on their farmland and if they could also earn "carbon credits", then the large landholders and industrial agriculture (all envious of the productivity and profitability of these "smallholder" ventures) would have to follow suit, just in order to compete!  It would be like greasing the wheels of the capitalist machine.  Who ever said that "Neo Terra Preta" shouldn't be built from the ground up?!