[Terrapreta] plastic "char" TP

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 1 08:33:50 EDT 2007

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Bernie,
>
> I think that since plastics are in general made from petroleum, then
> they will contain both heavy metals (e.g. lead, mercury, arsenic,
> cadmium) and halogens (e.g. fluorine and chlorine) elements.  These
> form all sorts of toxins for living things; heavy metals cause
> disruption of cellular enzymes, poly-vinyl-chlorides and
> chloro-fluoro-carbons are intense halogen based chemical toxins.
You are starting with a generalization and proceeding to a firm
conclusion. This is wrong.

Even if the raw material had contaminants, the final product may have
been refined enough to remove them. You need to know the impurity
content of the specific plastic product being discussed before making
conclusions.

Best wishes,

Kevin.