[Terrapreta] Charcoal is hydrophobic

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Sat Nov 3 08:59:15 EDT 2007

All the reseach i have read says it holds water.

  So have I, yet there is it. Im not saying I am sure one way or another... Im just offering some concepts here that dont add up. I wonder if someone specifically has examined this like the turf ppl did for humic?

  Let me add some more reasons I question the status quo;

  Activated carbon is hydrophobic. ' Due to the mainly hydrophobic surface properties, activated carbon adsorbs preferably organic substances and other non-polar compounds from the gaseous and liquid phase '.

  If humic is hydrophobic and activated carbon is hydrophobic, Im curious why I should think charcoal (TP) is hydrophobic?

  Another comment would be this... If I were to add a whole bunch of oil to my soil, I wouldnt expect that oil to hold water. Remember the saying 'oil and water dont mix'.

  Just to see what would happen, thismorning after I wrote the initial thread I threw a bunch of horticultural grade charcoal into a glass of water... Its still floating almost 2 hrs later.

  If something has a high CEC rate, how can it also be hydrophilic?

  I can show you research on the Australian Equivalent of Leoardite (zeolite) which contradicts this research.

  Great. Lets see it. I'll wait...

  Regardless, zeolite is not charcoal or humic acid, but a non-carbon mineral.

  Certainly the results of adding charcoal/humic to the soil could have some other effect to the soil to add hydrophilicy in other ways (like maybe more biota). But the stuff itself, is hydrophobic.

  Brian Hans

  Terrapreta mailing list
Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org