[Terrapreta] Soil test and CEC

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 03:52:53 EST 2007

OK agreed.

It is interesting that the Victorian brown coal manufactures complain about
the amount of water the their coal retains.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenmp.nsf/FID/-33E8EAA4C77E21F7CA256D02007CF8F4?OpenDocument

Mission to green Victoria's brown coal

*Victorian Brown Coal*

> > Brown coal resources in the Latrobe Valley are amongst the largest in
> > the world, representing 20 per cent of the world's reserves. They have
> > provided most of the fuel for Victoria's electricity generation industry
> > since the 1920s and are the basis for much of the State's industrial
> > development.
> >
> > Brown coal is used to produce around 85% of the electricity used by
> > Victoria each year. The low-cost electricity produced using brown coal is a
> > major component of the competitive advantage that has seen Victoria
> > established as Australia's leading manufacturing state. It is, however, also
> > a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
> >
> > To ensure supply security, continued competitiveness of Victorian
> > industry, employment growth and greenhouse abatement, Victoria's next major
> > tranche of base load needs to be generated from plants that guarantee lower
> > emissions from new generation.
> >
> > The Latrobe Valley coal seams are up to 330 m thick and are made up of 4
> > main seams, separated by thin sand and clay beds.
> >
> > The total brown coal resource in the Latrobe Valley is estimated to be
> > 394,000 million tonnes, with an estimated useable brown coal reserve of
> > 50,000 million tonnes.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/dpinenergy.nsf/LinkView/02C73866B10B9510CA2572BB000D73CAAFE5D9442E22210ACA2572BB00096717

here is enough brown coal in the La Trobe Valley to last another 500 years
> > and it's cheap. Brown coal's fuel component in the cost of producing
> > electricity is about $3 per megawatt-hour compared with black coal's $9 to
> > 15/MW-hour and natural gas's more than $20/MW-hour.
> >
> > However, in the age of global warming, brown coal's high moisture
> > content means it creates a lot of carbon dioxide (CO2) - the chief culprit
> > in greenhouse gas emissions - when burnt to produce electricity.
> >
> > This is where Dr Brockway comes in. He is chief executive of the
> > Cooperative Research Centre for Clean Power From Lignite, which aims to
> > develop technologies to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Lignite is
> > the term used internationally for brown coal.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/21/1064082865902.html?from=storyrhs