[Terrapreta] Do BECs threaten forests?

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Wed Nov 7 10:49:52 EST 2007

I think there will be a tradeoff between energy production from
biomaterials, and soil building carbon sequestration. The current schemes to
use biomaterials for energy represent one extreme where all the carbon from
biomaterials is converted back to CO2 when the products are used. Some are
belatedly realizing that using bioenergy to run our cars in this way will
lead to deforestation and more mining of soil resources. There is thus a
need to integrate other energy services (i.e. greenhouse gas free nuclear
energy) into the overall system to push the overall system toward more char
and soil building capacity.

Duane Pendergast