[Terrapreta] Do BECs threaten forests?

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:12:35 EST 2007

You bet Sean,

At that is the opportunity seen from the US midwest, where the trees have
been cleared in order to plant the crops that generate the waste that can
now be used. HOORAY!!!!!

Now, think of it now a developing country looking at forests that seem of
little use. This is the rub, and the challenge. How to get the developing
world to NOT follow the path blazed by US-style agriculture.

I just wrote about it here
http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/11/soy-in-amazon-pat-roberts-writing-in_06.html

and here
http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/11/us-ethanol-subsidies-help-fuel-range_8749.html

Now I'm trying to understand if BECs will feed more deforestation or prevent
it in Brazil.

What do you think might happen?

I dunno, that's why I'm asking.

lou