[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Soils Technology To Master Wal-Mart's Carbon Cycle

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 12:59:29 EST 2007

Dear TP Listers,

Any help in posting to all _these  entities_
(http://ceosustainabilitysummit.com/exhibitors.aspx)  associated with Walmart's green efforts would be most
appreciated.
Post me and we will divvy up this pie. ( Use my standard TP post &  links any
way you want)
Thanks,
Erich

Lessons Learned on Display at Wal-Mart's Sustainability Summit
_http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/reinsider/story?id=50450_
(http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/reinsider/story?id=50450)

Here are the the entities;
_http://ceosustainabilitysummit.com/exhibitors.aspx_
(http://ceosustainabilitysummit.com/exhibitors.aspx)

                       Terra Preta Soils Technology To Master Wal-Mart's
Carbon Cycle

I thought the current  news and links on Terra Preta (TP)soils and
closed-loop pyrolysis of  Biomass would interest you. Carbon to the soil for a really
long  time;

This  technology represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive
approach to long term stewardship and sustainability.Terra Preta Soils a
process for Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon sequestration,  1/3 Lower
CH4 & N2O soil emissions, and 3X Fertility  Too.

SCIAM Article May 15  07;

_http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=5670236C-E7F2-99DF-3E2163B9FB144E4
0_
(http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=5670236C-E7F2-99DF-3E2163B9FB144E40)

After  many years of reviewing solutions to anthropogenic global warming
(AGW) I  believe this technology can manage Carbon for  the greatest collective
benefit at the lowest economic price, on vast scales. It  just needs to be seen
by ethical globally minded  companies.

Could you  please consider looking for a champion for this orphaned Terra
Preta Carbon Soil  Technology.

The main  hurtle now is to change the current perspective held by the IPCC
that the  soil carbon cycle is a wash, to one in which soil can be used as a
massive  and ubiquitous Carbon sink via Charcoal. Below are the first concrete
steps  in that direction;

S.1884 – The Salazar Harvesting Energy Act of  2007
A  Summary of Biochar Provisions in  S.1884:
Carbon-Negative Biomass  Energy and Soil Quality Initiative
for the 2007  Farm Bill
_http://www.biochar-international.org/newinformationevents/newlegislation.html
_
(http://www.biochar-international.org/newinformationevents/newlegislation.html)
(...PLEASE!!..........Contact your  Senators & Repps in Support of
S.1884........NOW!!...)
Tackling Climate Change in the  U.S.Potential Carbon  Emissions Reductions
from Biomass by 2030by Ralph P. Overend,  Ph.D. and Anelia Milbrandt
National Renewable Energy  Laboratory

_http://www.ases.org/climatechange/toc/07_biomass.pdf_
(http://www.ases.org/climatechange/toc/07_biomass.pdf)

The  organization 25x25 (see _25x'25 - Home_ (http://www.25x25.org/) )
released it's  (first-ever, 55-page )"Action Plan" ; see;
_http://www.25x25.org/storage/25x25/documents/IP%20Documents/ActionPlanFinalWEB_04-19-07.pdf_
(http://www.25x25.org/storage/25x25/documents/IP%20Documents/ActionPlanFinalWEB_04-19-07.
pdf)
On  page 29 , as one of four foci for recommended RD&D, the plan lists: "The
development of biochar, animal agriculture residues and other non-fossil fuel
 based fertilizers, toward the end of integrating energy production with
enhanced  soil quality and carbon sequestration."
and on p 32, recommended as part of  an expanded database aspect of
infrastructure: "Information on the application  of carbon as fertilizer and existing
carbon credit trading  systems."

I feel 25x25 is now the premier US advocacy organization  for all forms of
renewable energy, but way out in front on biomass  topics.

There are  24 billion tons of carbon controlled by man in his agriculture and
waste  stream,  all that farm & cellulose waste which is now dumped to rot or
 digested or combusted and ultimately returned to the atmosphere as GHG
should be  returned to the Soil.

Even with all the big corporations  coming to the GHG negotiation table, like
Exxon, Alcoa, .etc, we still need to  keep watch as they try to influence how
carbon management is legislated in  the USA. Carbon must have a fair price,
that fair price and the changes in the  view of how the soil carbon cycle now
can be used as a massive sink verses it  now being viewed as a wash, will be of
particular value to farmers and a global  cool breath of fresh air for us
all.

If you  have any other questions please feel free to call me or visit the TP
web site  I've been drafted to co-administer.
_http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node_ (http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node)

It has  been immensely gratifying to see all the major players join the mail
list ,  Cornell folks, T. Beer of Kings Ford Charcoal (Clorox), Novozyne the
M-Roots guys(fungus),  chemical engineers, Dr. Danny Day  of EPRIDA , Dr.
Antal of U. of H., Virginia Tech folks   and probably many others who's back round
I don't know have  joined.

Also Here  is the Latest BIG Terra Preta Soil news;
The Honolulu Advertiser: “The nation's leading  manufacturer of charcoal has
licensed a University of Hawai'i process for  turning green waste into
barbecue briquets.”
See:
_http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707280348_
(http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707280348)

ConocoPhillips  Establishes $22.5 Million Pyrolysis Program at Iowa  State
_04/10/07_
(http://www.conocophillips.com/newsroom/news_releases/2007+News+Releases/041007.htm)

            Glomalin, the recently  discovered soil protien, may be the
secret to to TP soils  productivity;

           _http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2003/030205.htm_
(http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2003/030205.htm)

Here is my current  Terra Preta posting which condenses the most important
stories and  links;

Terra Preta Soils  Technology To Master the Carbon Cycle

Man has been  controlling the carbon cycle , and there for the weather, since
the invention of  agriculture, all be it was as unintentional, as our current
airliner contrails  are in affecting global dimming. This unintentional warm
stability in climate  has over 10,000 years, allowed us to develop to the
point that now we know what  we did,............ and that now......... we are over
doing it.

The prehistoric and  historic records gives a logical thrust for soil carbon
sequestration.
I  wonder what the soil biome carbon concentration was REALLY like before the
 cutting and burning  of the world's forest, my guess is that now we  see a
severely diminished community, and that only very recent Ag practices like
no-till and reforestation have started to help rebuild it.  It makes
implementing Terra Preta soil technology like an act of penitence, a returning  of the
misplaced carbon to where it belongs.

On the Scale of CO2  remediation:

It is my understanding  that atmospheric CO2 stands at 379 PPM, to stabilize
the climate we need to  reduce it to 350 PPM by the removal of 230 Billion
tons of  carbon.

The best estimates  I've found are that the total loss of forest and soil
carbon (combined
pre-industrial and industrial) has been about 200-240 billion tons.  Of
that, the soils are estimated to account for about 1/3, and the vegetation
the other 2/3.

Since man controls 24  billion tons in his agriculture then it seems we have
plenty to work with in  sequestering our fossil fuel CO2 emissions as stable
charcoal in the  soil.

As Dr. Lehmann at  Cornell points out, "Closed-Loop Pyrolysis systems such as
Dr. Danny Day's are  the only way to make a fuel that is actually carbon
negative". and that " a  strategy combining biochar with biofuels could ultimately
offset 9.5 billion  tons of carbon per year-an amount equal to the total
current fossil fuel  emissions! "

Terra Preta Soils  Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon sequestration,
1/3 Lower CH4  & N2O soil emissions, and 3X  FertilityToo

This some what  orphaned new soil technology speaks to so many different
interests and  disciplines that it has not been embraced fully by any.  I'm sure
you will  see both the potential of this system and the convergence needed for
it's  implementation.

The integrated energy strategy offered by Charcoal  based Terra Preta Soil
technology may
provide the only path to sustain our  agricultural and fossil fueled power
structure without climate degradation,  other than nuclear power.

The economics look good, and truly great  if we had CO2 cap & trade or a
Carbon tax in  place.

.Nature article, Aug 06: Putting the  carbon back Black is the new green:
_http://bestenergies.com/downloads/naturemag_200604.pdf_
(http://bestenergies.com/downloads/naturemag_200604.pdf)

Here's  the Cornell page for an over view:
_http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Biochar_home.htm_
(http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Biochar_home.htm)

University of  Beyreuth TP Program, Germany
_http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=taxonomy/term/118_
(http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=taxonomy/term/118)

This Earth Science  Forum thread on these soils contains further links, and
has been viewed by  19,000 self-selected folks. ( I post everything I find on
Amazon Dark Soils, ADS  here):
_http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta.html_
(http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta.html)

There is an ecology  going on in these soils that is not completely
understood, and if replicated and  applied at scale would have multiple benefits for
farmers and environmentalist.

Terra Preta creates a terrestrial carbon reef at a microscopic  level. These
nanoscale structures provide safe haven to the microbes and fungus  that
facilitate fertile soil creation, while sequestering carbon for many  hundred if
not thousands of years. The combination of these two forms of  sequestration
would also increase the growth rate and natural sequestration  effort of growing
plants.

The reason TP has  elicited such interest on the Agricultural/horticultural
side of it's benefits  is this one static:

One gram of charcoal cooked to 650 C Has a  surface area of 400 m2 (for soil
microbes & fungus to live on), now for  conversion fun:

One ton of charcoal has a surface area  of  400,000 Acres!!  which is equal
to 625 square miles!!  Rockingham Co.  VA. , where I live, is only 851 Sq.
miles

Now at a middle of the  road application rate of 2 lbs/sq ft (which equals
1000 sqft/ton) or 43  tons/acre yields 26,000 Sq miles of surface area per Acre.
 VA is 39,594 Sq  miles.

What  this suggest to me is a potential of sequestering  virgin forest
amounts of carbon just in the soil alone, without counting the  forest on top.

To take just one fairly representative example, in  the classic Rothampstead
experiments in England where arable land was allowed to  revert to deciduous
temperate woodland, soil organic carbon increased 300-400%  from around 20 t/ha
to 60-80 t/ha (or about 20-40 tons per acre) in less  than a century
(Jenkinson & Rayner 1977). The rapidity with which organic  carbon can build up in
soils is also indicated by examples of buried steppe  soils formed during
short-lived interstadial phases in Russia and Ukraine. Even  though such warm,
relatively moist phases usually lasted only a few hundred  years, and started out
from the skeletal loess desert/semi-desert soils of  glacial conditions (with
which they are inter-leaved), these buried steppe soils  have all the rich
organic content of a present-day chernozem soil that has had  many thousands of
years to build up its carbon (E. Zelikson, Russian Academy of  Sciences, pers.
comm., May 1994).  _http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/carbon1.html_
(http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/carbon1.html)

All the Bio-Char  Companies and equipment manufactures  I've found:

Carbon  Diversion
_http://www.carbondiversion.com/_ (http://www.carbondiversion.com/)
Eprida: Sustainable  Solutions for Global Concerns
_http://www.eprida.com/home/index.php4_
(http://www.eprida.com/home/index.php4)

BEST Pyrolysis, Inc. |  Slow Pyrolysis - Biomass - Clean Energy - Renewable
Ene
_http://www.bestenergies.com/companies/bestpyrolysis.html_
(http://www.bestenergies.com/companies/bestpyrolysis.html)
Dynamotive Energy  Systems | The Evolution of Energy
_http://www.dynamotive.com/_ (http://www.dynamotive.com/)

Ensyn -  Environmentally Friendly Energy and Chemicals
_http://www.ensyn.com/who/ensyn.htm_ (http://www.ensyn.com/who/ensyn.htm)

Agri-Therm, developing  bio oils from agricultural waste
_http://www.agri-therm.com/_ (http://www.agri-therm.com/)

Advanced BioRefinery  Inc.
_http://www.advbiorefineryinc.ca/_ (http://www.advbiorefineryinc.ca/)

Technology Review:  Turning Slash into Cash
_http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/17298/_
(http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/17298/)

3R Environmental  Technologies Ltd. (Edward Someus)
WEB:  _http://www.terrenum.net/_ (http://www.terrenum.net/)

The company  has Swedish origin and developing/designing medium and large
scale carbonization  units. The company is the licensor and technology provider
to NviroClean Tech  Ltd British American organization WEB:
http://www.nvirocleantech.com and VERTUS  Ltd.
http://www.vertustechnologies.com
The International  Agrichar Initiative (IAI) conference  held at Terrigal,
NSW, Australia in  2007. (  _http://iaiconference.org/home.html_
(http://iaiconference.org/home.html)    ) ( The papers from this conference are now being
posted at their home  page)
.

If pre-Columbian  Kayopo Indians could produce these soils up to 6 feet deep
over 15% of the  Amazon basin using "Slash & CHAR" verses  "Slash & Burn", it
seems that our energy and agricultural industries could also product them at
scale.

Harnessing the work of this vast number of microbes and  fungi changes the
whole equation of energy return over energy input (EROEI) for  food and Bio
fuels. I see this as the only sustainable agricultural strategy if  we no longer
have cheap fossil fuels for fertilizer.

We need this  super community of wee beasties to work in concert with us by
populating them  into their proper Soil horizon Carbon Condos.

Erich J.  Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd.
McGaheysville, VA.  22840