[Terrapreta] Soil test and CEC

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Nov 7 15:47:38 EST 2007

Dear Sean

You indicate below:
"There are 1500+ scientists, global climatologists, having done
thousands of research projects and written thousands of peer reviewed
articles where they are in COMPLETE CONSENSUS that global warming is
caused primarily by humans."

"Consensus Science" is an oxymoron. If it is science, it does not need
"consensus." If it is Science, then it is proven or disproven by facts.
The fact that there is a need for "consensus" suggests that  at the very
best, it is a "work in progress."

The mere fact that there is a need for "consensus Science" is proof that
the statements and conclusions are not scientific fact. If it can't be
proven or disproven, then it is not Science. It is still at the level of
"belief" or "conjecture."

I would therefore suggest it could be that  our present situation of
Global Warming was NOT caused by Man, industrialization, and fossil fuel
use, and that it could indeed be a natural phenomenon, which Man is
powerless to stop or reverse.

The World has had global warming in the past, long before
Industrialization, and it certainly was not caused by Man.

The issue of "Global Warming" is a complex matter. It may very well be
that the Scientists have not found the right hypothesis, or that if they
have, perhaps they simply do not have enough data to prove or disprove
the hypothesis in an absolute and Scientific manner. Given the
importance of the issue, that does not stop Man from taking some sort of
action. I personally favour a "No regrets" policy, where action is taken
to support a belief, BUT where these actions have merit on their own,
and provide a known real benefit.

For example, insulating ones home reduces the need for heating fuel, and
therefore reduces the impact of heating fuel on Global Warming. Most
people could accept that. However, when someone suggests raising the
price of gasoline to reduce use, many people scream bloody murder.
Cheney was wrong... the American Way of Life IS negotiable. If a "new
view" on gasoline pricing and use is not developed soon in an orderly
manner,  reality will force the ugly truth  upon us, in a way that is
much less than orderly and convenient.

Terra Preta seems to be such a "No Regrets" option. It presently seems
to be "close" to being economically advantageous for agricultural
reasons alone. How close it is to economic soundness based on
agricultural benefits is certainly open to discussion, in that the
Science and technology is not yet here to permit proving or disproving
its economic worth. To me, however, it appears that there are already
certain "niche circumstances" where TP would be very attractive for
Agricultural benefit alone, and that there are other circumstances where
TP would be a waste of good money.

I would suggest that the best interests of the Terra Preta Community are
served if we work toward understanding how it works, how to make it, and
where to use it.

Best wishes,

Kevin