[Terrapreta] Anthropogenic casue for Global Warming

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Nov 7 22:21:26 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

I do not know how much the area of water surface was increased by the construction of dams above the existing area of water surface in the oceans already.  But I do not expect it was much.  It is possible that increased water evaporation from the water surfaces is the cause of the increased concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere.  This could be the result of increased surface temperatures?  Wouldn't you think so?

As I was saying to Kevin ...  Human activity is the primary source of increased GHG concentrations in the atmosphere and the consequent increases in global average temperature.  Since human activity has caused the temperature increase and the temperature increase can cause more water to evaporate (water vapor is a GHG) from surfaces waters, then humans are indirectly the cause of this increase in a GHG also.   The same holds true for the release of Methane-CH4 from the permafrost as a result of temperature increases.

Humans need to come to grips with this.  We have effected the global climate.

I would like to restate my views on the possibilities for Terra Preta Nova.  Formation of TP soils, by burying charcoal can improve soil conditions for growing plants.  Making that charcoal from renewable, perennial plant matter (not trees, not plastics, not lignite coal) can harvest CO2 from the atmosphere.  Once buried, it has the potential to not just improve degraded soils (better water holding capacity, better CEC, better nutrient holding capacity, better living conditions for beneficial soil microbiology, etc.) but it can at the same time remove and sequester the same number of tons of carbon from the atmosphere that we would be using to improve the soils.

This is "two birds with one stone"!  Why not?  Why isn't "biochar" (charcoal made from biomass) the best choice for Terra Preta Nova?