[Terrapreta] range fuels

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Nov 9 00:41:05 EST 2007

Hi Kelpie,

I don't know what the catalyst metal alloy is for "synthesis gas" to Ethanol-CH3CH2OH (EtOH).  "Syngas" to Methanol-CH3OH is easier, I guess.  I don't know what the liquid fuel that Fischer and Tropsch actually made was either?  Even though Methanol is easier to make (cheaper, simpler catalyst?) than Ethanol, I think Ethanol was chosen over Methanol, however, because EtOH combines with gasoline, it runs in existing internal combustion engines, it is already in the refueling infrastructure, it is the preferred octane booster in gasoline, it won't make you go blind by breathing it or touching it, and it has a higher BTU content than Methanol.

It should be interesting to note though, that transesterification of fats (rapeseed oil, soy bean oil, etc.) to make Methyl-Esters in bio-diesel requires 15% Methanol by volume of the bio-diesel produced.  In both cases, Methanol or Ethanol, there is a ~50 cent per gallon tax credit, as well, for production of alcohol fuel additives (in the USA, anyway).

There are problems with catalysts like you suggest, that the catalyst are rare metal alloys and such.  There are also problems with "poisoning" of catalysts.  One issue I read about was that it is important for instance to keep the Methane-CH4 content of the "syngas" low when trying to make Methanol.  Methane-CH4 bonds to the reaction sites on the catalyst, rendering it useless for making any more Methanol.  That is an example of what "poisoning" is.  When "poisoning" occurs and it usually does at some point, then a new catalyst surface has to be rotated in to the reactor somehow, and the "poisoned" catalyst surface has to be cleaned or refreshed.

All of the information about what the catalyst is, who developed that catalyst, how it's "poisoned", how it's refreshed, how the catalytic surfaces are handled, the temperatures, pressures, and the "syngas" composition, etc. are always proprietary information.  You will never hear any of the companies divulging any of that.  Regardless, when it comes to thermo-chemical conversion, gasification and FT are the likely normal routes, I think.  The themro-chemical conversion methods are for now, more expensive to do than biochemical conversion of sugars to make Ehtanol.  The details of the costs and the economies of scale, etc. of the processes are the trade secrets.

The selection of the products are usually driven primarily by what most consumers will buy and maybe secondarily by tax incentives.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC