[Terrapreta] wildfire

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 20:31:10 EST 2007

yes, i've heard of coppicing. good system for some species.

i guess i've just been too close to actual wildfire to accept your terms of
"smolder" or "friendly fire".

wildfire is wildfire. in some places it is a very important part of the
process of diversing the age and species of trees and vegetation, especially
in areas that were originally "colonized" by "monocrops" of douglas fir. all
of this is part of a completely "natural" process.

in general, wildfires behave erratically, depending on the conditions
(humidity, smoke cover, wind and aspect). the process includes many
different fire behaviors from smoldering to roaring inferno. the result is a
forest mosaic that greatly promotes biodiversity.

like nature as a whole, fire is neither friendly nor unfriendly. it is what
is is.

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/