[Terrapreta] IPCC Summary for Policy Makers

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:10:07 EST 2007

Hi to All,

Today, I went to the searchs within  climate blogs and the websites of
mainstream large environmental organiztions. I searched "terra preta" at
about 20 sites and got almost NO results. I'm afraid we are the new kids in
the neighborhood. The IPCC is huge and now very institutionalized which
means a big lag time for anything not in standard envelopes.

In the upcoming Bali talks, they will finally be considering payments for
avoided or reduced deforestation.  Brazil has protected millions of acres of
carbon stored in forests in the past several years with NO economic rewards.
This has been a no brainer for years but is only now being considered.

I take two lessons from this: 1) we must work hard to build awareness of
char in all types of media streams and 2) it is going to take awhile for it
to get on the agenda for actual/practical decisions.

lou

http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/