[Terrapreta] TP theft.

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 22 10:13:43 EST 2007

Dear Lou

lou gold wrote:
> Hi Sean and All,
>
> Since Brazil is a poor place, especially in Amazonian rural areas, TP
> most likely does get stolen.
>
> However, I recently saw something about "commercial mining" of it that
> sounded very responsible. The guy extracted it but left the bottom
> 20cm. It would grow "back to full depth" in 20 years. I'm suspecting
> that eventually there will be specialty "nursery" plots growing "seed"
> or "starter"  TP  for use in other locations, nearby and far away. .
The above comment has enormous potential implications , if it is true.
On the one hand,  it may simply be a lie told by a  devious Terra Preta
Miner, (TPM)  so that people don't get worked up when he takes their
irreplaceable Terra Preta. Given all that has been said on this list
about the char requirement for Terra Preta formation, it is likely that
the TPM is a blatant liar. :-)

On the other hand, if the TPM's observation is substantially true and
accurate, it completely changes the fundamental formative mechanism for
TP. There is a possibility that the TPM is telling the truth, and that
Terra Preta can be formed naturally, and charing of biomass by Man was
not an essential step in its creation.

1: There is a pond in front of where I live. In the Summer, pond weed
drifts into a cove, and decomposes anaerobically to give a black goop on
the bottom When stirred up, the water turns black. The pond weed is not
consumed totally by pond life forms, but rather, a black material is
left behind. It could be "black carbon."

2: In Northern Canada, there are millions of hectares of Humified Peat,
where  the  the original sedges and mosses  are decomposed to the point
that little or none of their original plant structure  remains. What
does remain is a "black carbon-like" material.

3: Many Farmers drain swampy areas, and start a Market Gardening
Operation, because  vegetables grow so very well in the "black earth"
that they uncover. Do a Google Search on "Terre Noire", "Terre Noire
Canada", and "Black Earth". See also
> http://www.blackearth.org/History/History.html
In speaking to a Member of the Historical Society, the Community of
Black Earth seems to be built on a eutrophied lake. However, there was
indeed an Indian Community well established there, long before the White
Settlers came. The water table is very close to the surface, and
buildings of any size require pilings for foundation support.

There is thus reason to hypothesize that Terra Preta was not man made,
but rather, is a natural phenomenon.

It is interesting to note that on Gerhards site
> http://www.gerhardbechtold.com/TP/Belterra2.php?vers=2
the Terra Preta locations are generally confined to depressions. It
could be that these are sinkholes that were eutrophied. As a depression,
they would be a great place for the Natives to dispose of their garbage
and broken pottery.

So, it just might be that the Terra Preta Miner has given a fundamental
insight into the formative mechanism for Terra Preta.

If you are interested in pursuing this further, perhaps you could
inquire to determine how many of the Terra Preta Sites in your area are
in low lying areas with a high water table.

I would be very interested in, and appreciative of, any comments or
observations you can make.

Best wishes,

Kevin