[Terrapreta] TP growing back--was: TP theft.

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 22 12:56:50 EST 2007

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> I thought this was strange too.  I like your idea about erosion moving
> un-mined TP soil back into the holes.  Perhaps plant waste is still
> being charred and put back onto the sites by the landowners?  They
> made money once selling the TP soil, why not make more?  Then tell
> everybody else that the stuff just grows on your land, hmmm?  Maybe
> the humus continues to grow and fills in the lost volume?  I wouldn't
> think that untended, TP soil would grow back too much.
>
> As you suggest, where would the charcoal come from.  I can't see how
> it can just regenerate, left untended.   If untended TP soil continued
> to regenerate itself every 20 years, it would seem that all of the
> Earth's terrestrial surface would have now been covered in meters deep
> TP soil!  Supposedly some TP soils are 4000 years old.  If it
> regenerates itself (doubles in size?) every 20 years, well then that
> is 200 or so regenerative cycles, right?
>
> You've heard that story about give me a penny today, two
> tomorrow, four the next, etc.  In just thirty daily cycles (a month)
> that is something like ten or eleven million dollars!  There is no
> evidence that TP soil is even burgeoning off the shores of South
> America yet, so I don't really believe it has regenerative powers in
> 20 years?!
It is indeed not credible that man-made TP, made from charcoal, can grow
back and replace itself. However, it is very feasible that a eutrophying
depression could regenerate naturally made Terra Preta. I would propose
the following points for discussion:

1: There are two kinds of Terra Preta... Natural and Man-made.

2: Natural Terra Preta deposits are made as a result of eutrophication
of fresh water bodies. (Lakes, ponds, sinkholes, marshes, river margins,
etc)

3: Man-made Terra Preta Sites can be made as follows:
3:1 By partially draining a natural Terra Preta Site.
3:2 By taking naturally made Terra Preta from its site of manufacture,
and spreading it on land to increase its fertility
3:3 By making char from biomass and mixing it in with local soil, to
increase its CEC

What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Kevin