[Terrapreta] FIeld and Nursery Trials

Jim Joyner jimstoytn at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 17:11:02 EST 2007

Thanks Tom.

Seems strange that Fourth Corner Nursery doesn't know how much charcoal they applied . . . maybe they don't want to tell anyone?

A discussion of how the appropriate application
rate is determined would be welcome.

I came up with a figure of about 40 to 50 tons per acre trying to optimize the CEC of my own land (making several assumptions), applying it only to the top 6 inches. (Someplace I have an email from Kevin with a figure that was similar or slightly higher). The biggest assumption I made was that charcoal would measure out similar to stable humus carbon in the soil. I've seen this done with soft coal (Personally, I'm not a fan of soft coal). I would also likely need to apply some calcium (lime) but I would not do so until I gave it a full season to resettle it's own biological structure.

In a sense this already takes into consideration the climate, use and structure of soil because it is based the knowledge of the soil in question, i.e., I know what kind of response I would get, what my soil is capable of and where the returns diminish in terms of CEC. I can't find that anyone seems to care about the particular soil structure or its climate -- which to me, makes all the difference in the world!. If I moved my soil to the Amazon, I would needs much more; in Minnesota, less. But I would only know after looking at actual responses in those climes.

But Sean, I think, said he thought 100 tons/acre would be better -- applied over many years, presumably to buffer the cash outlay bite. I don't think he said how he arrived at that figure, unless he was using Cornell's numbers in the tropics -- which I doubt is a good yardstick for temperate soils. (Sean, please correct me if I'm wrong.  I didn't mean to put words into your mouth, there's just much of what you said, I don't get when it comes to the soil)

Jim