[Terrapreta] heat energy: stoves vs. thermo biopiles

mmbtupr at aol.com mmbtupr at aol.com
Fri Nov 23 21:54:54 EST 2007

from   Lewis L Smith

 From experience, I am familiar with the concepts of high and low
heating values, and vaguely recall hearing Dominicans, Hawaiians and/or
Puerto Ricans argue about which one is "best".

However, there is a formula called "Hessey's formula" which was once
widely used in the Hawaiian sugar industry for calculating the heating
value of cane bagasse. So it provided me with a rough-and-ready,
professionally acceptable means of calculating the heating value of any
tropical grass, in doing the economics of the project evaluations which
we performed during the years 1970-90, especially when I was working
with Hawaiians.

Now it just so happens that the Formula is expressed in terms of HHV,
so it is convenient when one is dealing with different drying options
for "energy grass".

In any case, I never got a complaint. Moreover, as I recall from a
Hawaiian report, there are five ways in which energy is wasted in a
biomass boiler, so I did never figure out why we should give special
treatment to H2O !  But then, I am not an engineer !

Cordially. ###