[Terrapreta] FIeld and Nursery Trials

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Nov 24 13:49:08 EST 2007

Jim,

You may not have received Richard's reply to you  before you replied.  He
said, "Our charcoal dosage was to bring total carbon (OM + added charcoal )
to something less than 10%. We determined this to be a maximum dose and not
a dose for large scale application." He'll provide the first year report to
the list when it is complete. The plots have been replanted with no
additional charcoal and the test is ongoing for the next 1-3 years.

If you go back through the field trials by the various Cornell and U
Beyreuth researchers you'll find that most applications land in the 1-10
mt/ha range.  U Beyreuth found that most of the Amazonian soils were 3C% or
less. 10% is considered a maximum. See Julie Majors poster on arid soils in
Columbia etc. Most of these are linked on the TP site. They are all listed
and linked on the Cornell and EPRIDA sites.

The question remains of how much charcoal is required in a particular soil
in combination with other nutrients for a marginal gain of a specific
agronomic value such as yield, fertilizer reduction, inoculation/healthy,
etc. General formulas may apply as a baseline but if there is value in terra
preta agronomists will test the variations for centuries to come.

We look forward to seeing what you finally decide to put in the ground.

Tom